Wanna know more about CS3216? Visit CS3216 Website, CS3216 Blog and CS3216 Facebook Group

Google Wave

Friday, April 2, 2010

Traps everywhere

I wonder if it is cos i have added my Facebook badge on this blog (which has my email address) on it, strange ppl start adding my MSN saying strange things to me :S..

BLOCK YOU!

I hv removed my Facebook badge on this blog n don't wish to see ppl like these anymore. To protect my privacy...

The previous lecture about "Facebook Security and Privacy" is interesting but rather introductory... i have heard about some of these before but never really study into them.

When I did the Facebook assignment, being in touch with PHP, i read abt some of these stuff regarding security on my own... that is when i got to know abt MySQL injection - use mysqli_real_escape_strings() to counter it and also XSS - use strip_tags() to counter it and it is bad to keep the test page created using phpinfo() cos of the amt of info release to the public, so i removed phpinfo() from my test page. From the lecture i also learnt that revealing too much info includes exception and debugging stmts. I believe these issues are not the consideration for most ppl when building small applications or websites that cater to small group of ppl, it only starts to bother you when your application or website gets popular. But it is always to have good practice. Probably someday i should find time to go read more about these issues, they sound interesting.

Security also reminds me of malware. Malware is probably sth that most of us would have encounter with. After having caught a major virus about one year back, i am actually quite scared of thumbdrive. However malware is sth interesting yet scary. How I wish I got a laptop where i can do experiment on it. Cos now what i can do is protect my laptop against them, but doing so means i can't know more abt them. Experience is quite important in understanding =P

No comments:

Post a Comment